How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PitRottMommy Your Own Question
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 8706
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
Type Your Dog Question Here...
PitRottMommy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog has a huge cancer tumor in s left front elbow, we

Customer Question

My dog has a huge cancer tumor in his left front elbow, we took him to get surgery and it grew back within a couple weeks now we don't know what to do, the vet wants to a,outage
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: *amputate his arm
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 11 years old a golden retriever
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Was a histopathology performed to determine what type of cancer it is?
2) How long was the regrowth? 2 weeks? 6? More?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure the type of cancer it is but i woild say it took exactly 3 weeks to grow back, and it's a horrible smell. We keep trying to wrap it up and bandage up but I can tell my dog is very depressed and uncomfortable by it and it breaks my heart. If it wasn't for this Tumor he would be perfectly fine. I don't know what to do, I was trying to do natural remedies. What do you think? It grows bigger day by day.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me about 20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Because a histopathology was not originally performed, it does make your situation more difficult because you don't know if this amputation would be curative or not. The idea that your vet has is basically to take a much wider margin (by a LOT!) and just amputate the whole limb. The problem is, they cannot be sure this will fix it but watching it slowly get worse isn't much of an option either.

I would, personally, discuss two things with your vet:

1) A fine needle aspirate of the tumor to see if a sample can be obtained of the cells where a pathologist can then educate you on the best approach.
2) Impression smears of the tumor to see if a sample can be obtained of the cells where a pathologist can educate you on the best approach.

This is a more pricy approach, but it may also safe you money in the long run and tell you if there is something that WILL work instead of coming from the directions that it just might work. Some cancers will grow back no matter what we do. Other cancers can be curative if we take a wide margin (like an amputation). For a tumor that's rapidly growing but going to keep growing, there's really no reason to amputate a limb if it's not going to buy the dog any time at all.

Once this information is had, you'll know what direction to take. It usually takes 1-3 days for a pathology to get results back to the clinic on what to do.

At this time, it doesn't sound like natural remedies are going to take care of the whole problem but it certainly won't hurt for you to continue with any therapy you're already using. This may allow you to buy some time to wait for the pathology reports.

If they come back stating that the cancer is infiltrative and there's a poor prognosis, it would be recommended to spend some time with your companion enjoying life and once the tumor becomes large enough to impede his walking or enjoyment of life, then elect euthanasia.

If they come back stating that wide margins with likely be curative with a fair to good or even excellent prognosis, that would be the time to pursue removal.

Another option which may be worthwhile to explore would be a referral to a veterinary oncologist who has more experience with tumors of this variety and may be able to lend an experienced hand to your boy's case.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time today to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you. Your satisfaction is my primary focus, so if questions remain please respond so that I may finish assisting you before you rate my service.