Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
25161683

I bought a puppy yesterday he is 4 months old and I had to

Customer Question

I bought a puppy yesterday he is 4 months old and I had to drive 3 hours to get him back home. He did not throw up at all in the car he was actually really good , however once we got home about 9pm I put out some water and food he was walking around smelling everything getting acquainted, I took a tablespoon of wet food and mixed it in with his dry food... I gave him about 1/2 of cup of food he ate it all and about 30mins later he threw all the food up it was solid pieces of food , the food was not digested, I took the remaining food and put it away and only left him with water, now I wake up its 6am and he was really happy to see me he isn't lethargic but as I was getting ready to serve him some food he just opened his mouth and threw up liquid it wasn't foamy or anything it was the color of the food , so I decided not to feed him , I just cleaned everything up, disinfected and changed his water... He has been fully vaccinated and given dewormers also.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He is 4 months old a Yorkie Pom mix
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms besides the vomiting?

2- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symptoms I believe he weighs 3-5 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter