Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has ate and drank a lot today an he knows he needs to

Customer Question

My dog has ate and drank a lot today an he knows he needs to at least pee but he won't an I know he needs to pee to cause his tummy is blowed up some an he let's out a little when or huffs and puff when goes to get up or lay down. I don't know what to do he has potties today though pee an poo but after eating he hasn't.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's it he has a two side bowl one side for food other for water its been filled 3 times an he's about 5 maybe six years old he was a rescue I got almost 4 years ago
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What did he over eat today (ie dry food, treats, etc)?

How many hours ago did he last urinate?

Any changes to his breathing?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been probably ten hours since he ate an last potties. He is a large dog he eats alot he didn't over eat or drink he just had a lot of both as normal but hasn't peed yet still an its 5am from when I posted my question on accident twice at little before an after 2 pm yesterday. He is a little bloated due to he won't pee he did on the floor on accident alittle but stopped. He knows he needs to potty an I do to to relieve his tummy but he's refusing. He is stubborn
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Since we seem to be discussing him on two conversation threads, I will repost here. Though with that additional information, 10 hours isn't a point of worry for this situation. What I said before:

If he is comfortable and not straining to pass either urine or stool, then we likely don't have a serious issue here and you can certainly give him at least water now. Generally speaking, we don't worry as long as they are passing urine comfortably every 24 hours. They don't have to always go after eating,even if that is their usual routine.

In this case, we'd want to make sure we are taking him out frequently to give him the opportunity to urinate. We can gently press on his bladder/abdomen to encourage it but we need to give him time. Of course, if he strains and cannot pass any, we'd need him seen urgently by his vet to check for a blockage.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** there are some steps you can take to get him to pass some if it has been a while since his last stool. To do so, you can add canned pumpkin or all bran to his food. These high fiber foods help restore fecal regularity and can push the stool throuhg the gut. Otherwise, you can give him a small dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment, lactulose, miralax, etc) to lubricate the gut and get him passing stool sooner.

Overall, if he is comfortable and didn't overeat, then this isn't likely a worrying situation. Therefore, if he is not straining, we'd just want to add the above to his food to get him passing stool and get him outside as much as possible to encourage him to urinate. But otherwise this isn't a worry if he is not straining or struggling to go.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will let him an me sleep now an hopefully he will wake up in few hours 9-10am or sooner an want an need to potty. He is at 5am currently sleeping an I need to get some as well thank for your time though my answer was not answered at least I got some info will try this when we wake up. Thanks good night
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

That sounds fine and hopefully we will see some him passing both in a few hours time.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No need th respond again thanks and Yes hopefully he will release his self which will releave an less worry me. Thanks take care good night well morning here but night cause I'm just heading to sleep. Hoping good thoughts an things in the waking hours for potty time. No need to respond
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Hopefully he will, since there are no signs suggesting a reason why he cannot. Otherwise, that sounds like a fine plan.

Take care.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet