Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Was just looking online about sores on dogs' anus, stella,

Customer Question
was just looking online for...
was just looking online for info about sores on dogs' anus
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: stella, she is almost 11
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?
Customer: i thought it was blood in her poop but seems to be a sore on her butt.
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Customer: she is on atopica and benedryl
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
3/19/2016
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 1 year ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

If there is a sore on either side of the anus then it may be that an anal sac was full and blew open and it may be infected. What happens is the sacs are located on either side of the anus and they are usually expressed with a bowl movement. IF the stool is too soft the sacs do not break. Sometimes the dog scoots along the floor to break them open.

different disease of the anal sacs are abscess, tumor, impaction and inflammation.

In some dogs they just have a problem with the sacs and they are eventually removed surgically.

I am going to direct you to a couple of sites on the anal glands for reading but you should see your vet as antibiotics and a flush may be needed.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/skin/anal-sac-disease-in-dogs

http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm

Here is a video that will tell you how to care for them until you can see your vet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qP5dRdjyoo

Here is a video of an anal gland abscess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu61sqnkVLM

If you find that the dog's stool is soft normally , adding some pure canned pumpkin to the diet daily can help.

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant