Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

AJ and my chihuahua puppy just woke up from a nap and her

Customer Question

AJ and my chihuahua puppy just woke up from a nap and her bot***** *****p and the top of her nose is swollen!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just the front of her mouth is swollen and a little bit right on the top of her muzzle. But she has no bite marks anywhere on her body, she isn't acting weird, and has no other symptoms It doesn't even hurt when I touch it. I'm not sure what it is.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

There is a couple of things that can cause this. The most common would be an insect bite or sting. The other possibility might be a tooth issue. With an allergic reaction you do swelling like you describe and in most cases you never see the actual bite or sting especially if they tried to eat or ingest the insect. Try some benadryl. The dosage is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. This should take care of the problem.

Examine the dogs mouth looking for broken teeth or discolored teeth that might indicate infection. You can't just judge by swelling since an allergic reaction would cause swelling as well. If your dog is indeed a puppy it is less likely to be a tooth abscess. Let me give you a site on insect bites and another one for tooth abscesses.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/allergic-reaction-to-insect-in-dogs

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/tooth-root-abscess-in-dogs/4740

If it is a tooth issue, you will have to have her seen by your vet so appropriate treatment can be started.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?