Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

I have a 8 year old shitzu who is pacing, panting and

Customer Question

I have a 8 year old shitzu who is pacing, panting and licking me. She can't stop moving around. unlike her. whats wrong? it's night time.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: I just typed it...excessive panting, licking and pacing.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she does;t seem to hurt. walking around constantly.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wounds
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Annie, an 8 year old shitzu
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Annie?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You should be ashamed of yourselves. I have a potentially sick dog and you send me from site to site ... Is this your way of helping???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello..... I want my money back and i will post this!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to see that you have been waiting a bit for an answer, I'd like to help if you are still interested.

Panting and pacing likely indicate anxiety.

Since this is a new behavior then dogs will often lick when they have a bad taste in their mouth but that should not last long. They can also lick when they have something caught between their teeth, an infected tooth, or something stuck on the roof of their mouth.

Have you looked at her teeth and gums and on the roof of her mouth?

Has her appetite increased or decreased recently?

Dogs will often lick when they are feeling nauseous or have gastroesophageal reflux to try and settle their stomachs. If she has had a change in appetite or is vomiting along with her licking I feel that she may be nauseous.

Metabolic diseases that cause stomach upset like kidney or liver disease, hyperlipidemia, or pancreatitis can cause licking. Anemia can lead to pica or eating or licking non food items. I do recommend that she see her veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests to make sure there are no health problems behind this behavior if her licking continues.

For now in case this is related to nausea or reflux to try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

Either of these will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. You can use these for several days if need be or even long term as they are very safe medications.

You do want to mention this behavior to her veterinarian at her next veterinary visit even if she improves with the acid reducers as they will likely want to run some blood tests to look for any possible developing problems.

It may also help to feed her a bland diet as well. A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled, white rice or pasta. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back.

In an older pup licking and pacing can also be a sign of pain, especially arthritis pain, and though generally they lick the sore joint not always. If she seems stiffer than usual or is limping then her veterinarian should examine her for signs of joint pain/arthritis.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara