Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

P appears to be out...it has happened before but goes back

Customer Question
hip appears to be out...it...
hip appears to be out...it has happened before but goes back in within minutes. This time, it has been all day and he is arching his back and laying curved to the left
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pepper, 6 years, yorkie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepper?
Customer: nope
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
3/14/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Are you available for chat?

Ok, first it is very very unlikley that your dog's hip is out......hips on dogs do not come out and go back in......but your dog's knee cap could be displaced and this can be very uncomfortable. Is your dog crying at all?

Is your dog holding the leg up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, he is just not moving a lot. When I picked him up he almost yelped twice today but thats it. He is not holding it up....just arched back and hobbling when walking.

The other possibility is that your dog has a back problem, but hips problems in yorkies are unheard of for the most part and they don't just pop out and go back in....hope that makes sense...

Ok...your dog has a back problem and that is what is causing his arched appearance......how old is your dog and how much does he weigh?

Also do you have any tramadol or baby aspirin in your house?

Are you there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got some aspirin from petsmart and gave him the toy dose. The vet said he had crepitance two years ago and he started having these problems with arching the back....i would bend his leg manually and straighten it and he would be fine. This time he has an extra symptom.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could he make it until tomorrow afternoon or is this an immediate action?

What does your dog weigh and what is the mg of the aspirin? and how much in mg did you give him?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gave him half a tablet of asprin 60 mg for toy dogs....he weighs 11 pounds

As long as your dog can actually walk he can probably make it until tomorrow to see the vet but I want to make sure we have given him correct dose of aspirin. Ok, when did you give the aspirin. So you gave 30 mg?

Is he still eating? and when did you give the aspirin?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We gave the asprin around 5pm with one of those small cans of food. He ate the whole thing really quick. It was 60mg (my wife already calculated taking half).

Ok, well you can feed him another snack now and give him an additional 30 mg which that sounds like it would be 1/4 tablet of what you have. His proper dose is around 90-100 mg every 12 hours.

I suspect that your dog has both luxating patellas with arthritis but also some intervertebral back problems. Steroids and muscle relaxors can help alot with this. Don't for get to tell your vet about the aspirin.And if you are taking him in the am do not redose aspirin in am.

Can I answer any other questions for you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are there normal surgery for this stuff or pills and rest?

If it is primary back then pills and rest are usually attempted first as long as neuro is intact. If patellas are the major problem then sx best option.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I really appreciate it doc. have a great night

Ok, well best of luck to you and let me know if you need additional assistance in the future.I am certified in rehab and deal with lots of back and knee problems. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!

Hi Bennie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian