Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

I took my dog to the vet Monday because she would not walk

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet Monday because she would not walk on her front leg. The vet felt her leg up and down and said no broken bones. So she is taking pain/inflammation meds. Yesterday she started walking on it again. I looked at her paw and her nail on the 2nd toe in the middle is kind of crooked which it was not like that before. So I started feeling her good paw and her hurt paw. The toe that has the crooked nail, I don't feel the knuckle. The other middle toe does have the knuckle. On her good paw, both middle toes have that knuckle. So is this possibly a broken toe?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What more details do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. Your checking the foot may have unraveled the mystery of why she had some problems. A bent nail which affects the quick, sprained toe, or broken toe could indeed cause her to limp and not want to use the leg. I have a big gir and when she runs will wind up catching her toe or toenail and she will come in limping and not use the leg. The only way to know that it is related to the toe or toe nail would be to have the foot examined again for a break or sprain of the toe, or as I said if she hurt the nail that too could have been the issue. Since she is using the leg again, and all seems ok, I would not rush back to the Vet, but would mention it next time you are in for a visit.

Joan