Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My name is ***** ***** and my 7 yr old, female, Chiweenie

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and my 7 yr old, female, Chiweenie has started thrusting and rubbing her butt against the couch. Then she comes to me to scratch at the top of the tail and back. She gets up at night to scratch against the couch. She seems to be healthy otherwise. I did notice a smell at her hole and tail area this morning.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What detail do you want?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for requesting me. If she is rubbing her anus along the couch or the floor my concern would be the anal glands. Usually these get expressed with a bowel movement but sometimes if the stool is too soft they do not get expressed. The odor is pretty bad when they are broken open by the dog who scoots or rubs.

Some dogs just have anal gland problems regardless of stool. If this is the case it is best to talk to your vet if it is an ongoing problem.

Adding some pure canned pumpkin to the daily diet, 1 teaspoon , can firm up the stool and help with the glands.

I would try this first and see if you notice a difference. If the stool is already hard and there is still a problem then you need to see if the dog has problems with the glands.

Here is more on the anal glands.

http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm

(List of possible problems) http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-anal-gland.html