Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I just noticed a tomato soup looking discharge from my dog's…

Customer Question
I just noticed a...

I just noticed a tomato soup looking discharge from my dog's cage papers. She never pottyS in her cage. I know that's most likely pyometra. It's too late to call the vet. They close at 5. I was just wondering if one of the antibiotics I have on hand would help until I can get a hold of the vet tomorrow. I can't afford the VCA hospital an hour and a half away. I have amoxicillin, cephlalexin, but no batryl which I know she needs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is The?

She will be 4 in May

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about The?

She had her first litter Las August.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
3/8/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog. If you're absolutely certain that the discharge you found isn't from her intestines but rather her vaginal area, then you may very well be correct about a pyometra....at least this is something that I'd want to rule out first. I'm assuming you know what a heat cycle discharge looks like and this is entirely different since she's about due to come into heat again.

If this is the case, then her cervix is open which is much better than if it were closed. I tend to treat these patients with Cephalexin if I can't get them to surgery right away. The dose I use would be 10-15 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

I might wait to start her on antibiotics, however, until you've confirmed and absolutely certain as to the source of her discharge.

I hope this helps. Deb