Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I found a hard lump behind my dog dachsund/chihuaha mix,

Customer Question

I found a hard lump behind my dog dachsund/chihuaha mix
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: behind my dog's ear.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dachshund?
Customer: Peaches. She just turned 4
JA: What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Peaches
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have a picture of the lump? You can load a clear shot here using the paperclip function on the toolbar, or you can upload to another site like tiny pic or photo bucket.com

2) How long has the lump been there?

3) Does it seem to bother her? Any itching?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No itching. I'm not sure how long it has been there. I thought I felt something a few weeks ago, but just thought that side felt differently because she was curled up in a ball so her neck was tilted to one side. It is hard and I keep pressing on it and it doesn't seem to cause her any pain. It is behind the left ear on her neck. It isn't really visible, but I can feel it is hard on one side and not the other. Maybe 2" x 1.5"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other side feels essentially the same, just smaller.

A picture would really help greatly in this situation. I will opt out and allow another professional to assist you. Best of luck with Peaches!