Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has an interdigital cyst or interdigital furuncle. It…

Customer Question
My dog has an...

My dog has an interdigital cyst or interdigital furuncle. It is between the toes on one paw. It is quite large. She has had it for about a year and initially we went to the vet and he didn't seem real concerned, but said he could put her under and get a biopsy. She was fussing with it and licked the fur off. She doesn't do well on anthesthesics so I am hesitant to put her under. It hasn't seemed to bother her a lot since then until recently. It appears larger now and she is limping. I poked it in a few places with a needle and not much came out, just a few drops of blood and a few drops of of clear liquid. I'm looking for advice on remedies.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Digest what?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
She is 85 lb lab/poodle, but looks more lab than poodle
3/8/2016
Dog Specialist: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog's cyst. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is hard to know the best treatment until we know if this is a cyst, an infection, or a tumor/growth. The best way to find that out would be FNA, fine needle aspiration. I place a small needle gently into the cyst, without anesthesia, and get some cells or fluid to examine microscopically. Once I know what this is, I know whether to treat with antibiotics, topical medication, or if it needs to be removed.

Can you post a picture of it here?

I did get it, thanks!

This thing is pretty big. An interdigital cyst or furuncle is usually less than half that size. I am concerned this is a tumor or growth, and I would do FNA as soon as possible to find out what it is. It may be that no treatment except removing it will work.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Was this helpful?

How is your dog doing?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian