Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

6 month female spayed Feb 11 - had reaction to suture and…

Customer Question
6 month female spayed...

6 month female spayed Feb 11 - had reaction to suture and encapsulated seroma - no infection - removed that and placed drain for 3 days - that drain was removed and the seroma (not encapsulated) returned - did a double drain - all was looking great and those drains were removed this past Saturday - now the fluid is back - the sutures for the second surgery will be removed tonight - what else can I possibly do to help my girl. I have kept her quiet etc. and even stayed home with her 2 weeks straight to ensure she was a quiret as possuble

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Nothing unusual - great apetitie, acting normal in every way - no infection in the culture that was taken etc. simply fluid buildup.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This is quite a frustrating situation. To be honest, I don't every re-cut or put drains in a seroma. I just have the owner use a warm compress on the area 2-3 times daily. I'll have them do that until the body reabsorbs the fluid completely. It can take anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks. Sometimes I'll stick a needle in and drain the fluid, but that's pretty rare. I have never used penrose (rubber) drains in a seroma, as they are a foreign body and can induce fluid production.

The only other thing that could be done, is placing a vacuum assisted drain. There is one called a Jackson Pratt Drain. These have suction, so it'll collect the fluid and allow the tissue to be pulled together and start to heal. I haven't had to use a JP Drain for these, but it is an option that you could discuss with your vet. I would be more inclined to just use a warm compress and let it go down on it's own.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

You're welcome.