Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 13month old puppy just started yelping out loud and jumps…

Customer Question
My 13month old puppy...

My 13month old puppy just started yelping out loud and jumps in the air all the sudden when he is sitting and then starts biting at his rear. What could be wrong?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Petey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Huh?

We gave him a heart worm pill on Thursday and a flea pill on Saturday. Could he be having a reaction to the pills?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He pooped this morning and hasn't pooped this afternoon though.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
3/7/2016
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 2 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question tonight. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Have you noticed Petey doing any scooting of his butt on the ground?

Has he been eating/drinking/urinating/defecating normally?

Have you noticed a foul or fishy odor from his rear?

What breed of dog is he?

No scooting
Eating, drinking, urinating and pooping normally.
No odor.
American English Bulldog
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

THanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It actually sounds to me like this is an issue with his anal glands. The behavior you describe...the sudden turning and biting at his butt is a classic symptom.

All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normally, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed.

There's a great article on them here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7468-Pet-Health-Examiner~y2009m7d20-Pet-Health-101-What-are-anal-glands-and-what-problems-can-they-cause-for-dogs-and-cats .

As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps.

Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8453_dog-grooming-basics-glands.htm .

Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands. If you are unable to express the glands yourself, I suggest calling your vet and scheduling an appointment because glands that are difficult to express may actually be impacted and forcing the issue can cause serious damage to the area.

I hope this helps!!

We had some card board in the garage and he was chewing on it. Could he have swallowed some and maybe irritating him?

I doubt it. At the core, cardboard is just paper, so it tends to break down in the stomach acid and doesn't cause a huge issue unless the dog has eaten a bunch of it and it's causing an obstruction. If that were the case, however, he'd be vomiting and unable to defecate, so it's not likely to be the cardboard.

Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech