Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

7 day puppies has very loose, yellow stinky, We call her

Customer Question
7 day puppies has very...
7 day puppies has very loose, yellow stinky poops
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: We call her purple haze
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Nor wanting to nurse, looks feel dehydraded
JA: Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
3/6/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is this all the pups or one pup?

Are the pups/pup crying excessively?

Are the gums tacky or moist?

Are the gums white or pink?

Hi. I was hoping to get a response back before giving you an answer but I feel this is important enough to supply you an answer based on the information already given.

There are many reasons your puppies may be failing that include serious worm infestation, flea infestation causing anemia, herpes virus, and bad milk from mom or congenital health issues. It is sometimes referred to as fading puppy syndrome.

This site has information on fading puppy syndrome.

http://www.hydeparkvet.co.uk/pethealth/dogdisease1.asp?disease=Fading+Puppy+Syndrome

Based on your description, I fear herpes may be an issue. Herpes can cause yellow green feces, a lack of appetite, weakness to only name a couple symptoms. You can read about herpes here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2102&aid=443

http://www.2ndchance.info/herpesvirusdog.htm

This site goes over ways of helping save fading puppies.

http://showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/fading.html

I strongly suggest you start trying to prevent dehydration and hypoglycemia by administering small amount of formula with a small needleless syringe regularly and putting a drop of pancake syrup on the pups gums. If you put a little syrup on mom's nipple, the pup may suckle and get a little milk in that manner. Additionally, I would have the pups and mom seen as soon as possible by your vet so they can test for potential parasites, protozoan infections and help rule out herpes as the cause. Protozoan infections can lead to yellowish smelly feces and a loss of appetite as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.