Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She has a runny stool with a little blood. She is drinking…

Customer Question
She has a runny...

She has a runny stool with a little blood. She is drinking water, but she has no energy and seems to have a very little appetite

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Railyn, she is three, about 8 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Railyn?

She has had a little stress lately, but no change in diet. Otherwise always has been healthy and this is the first time she has had stomach issues. Every once in a while, she will vomit up some bile, but not during this stool issue.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
3/6/2016
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 2 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long has Railyn been ill?

Has she had any new foods, treats or people food before this started?

When was the last time she had a fecal test to check for parasites?

How many times has she had loose stool now?

Railyn has had runny stools for three days. No change in diet. She was at the vet for her annual checkup three weeks ago. Her report was clean.

Okay...great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Because this has only been going on for a very short amount of time, and since from your answers, we can rule out things like ingestion of a toxin, intestinal obstruction due to eating something non-food, and pancreatitis from eating greasy people food, I think we should just treat it like a case of simple digestive upset.
The gold standard for treatment of digestive upset in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast her for 24 hours (providing she doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require she eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in her bowl so that she can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1-2 tablespoons every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring loose stool. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in her kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the diarrhea, starts having episodes of vomiting or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have her seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection, but as a general rule, this clears up with just the fasting and the bland diet.

I hope this helps.

She has not eaten since Friday night, she has drank only a small amount of water. I thought I mentioned that she had a little blood in her stool and had no energy (lethargic) so you still think I should try the rice/hamburger mixture, because to me she has fasted already.
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech