Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dog has cataracts What is the best thing I can do to help m?

Customer Question
Dog has cataracts...

Dog has cataracts What is the best thing I can do to help him? Eye Drops, Occuvite, other meds for dogs, can I give him Bilberry? eyebright? or is surgery the only real option??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Savvy is 10 years old. Still very athletic and in good shape.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
3/6/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Jo, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Savvy.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.

I see you're not currently online and available to chat. In the meantime, I'll let you know that there are absolutely NO medical therapies that have been proven to work in treating cataracts. The only option that is effective is to have them surgically removed. Board-certified veterinary ophthalmologists do not recommend any medical therapies whatsoever.

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.

Please let me know if you need additional information or would like to discuss this further. I'll be logging off for the evening shortly, but will be back on tomorrow.

Thank you for using our website.

Just following up to ask how things are going for your dog. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo