Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My is have a soft stool for3 day now what do i'll do, has…

Customer Question
My is have...

My is have a soft stool for3 day now what do i'll do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Benjamin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Benjamin?

Benjamin has been going to doggie day care and was home for two day but he when to day care he had a loose stool

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
3/6/2016
Dog Specialist: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Benjamin. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of possible causes for Benjamin's soft stool, including anything from a sudden change in diet, to an infectious issue, intestinal worms or even an internal organ issue. First and foremost, you really need to ensure that Benjamin is completely up to date with his worming treatments. If you haven't done this for a while, be sure to get him treated with a reliable all wormer like Drontal or Milbemax.

If this diarrhea has continued and hasn't improved within the last 3 days, I do definitely think it would be worth getting a fecal sample off to your Vet. Here he or she can send this away for full analysis including a culture and fecal float to help rule out infectious causes such as salmonella, campylobacter, giardia, coccidia and intestinal worms.

For now you are best feeding Benjamin something really bland. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and cooked white rice is ideal for this type of situation and you can start that from the morning. If the diarrhea is the same consistency this morning as it was on day one, I would recommend getting a fresh stool sample along to your Vet tomorrow if they are open and if you can. Do your best to get a fresh sample in to an icecream container or something similar and take this into your Vet if there hasn't been much improvement.

Please also make sure that Benjamin is drinking plenty of water. All of this diarrhea could quickly make him dehydrated if he doesn't drink sufficient water. If he isn't keen on drinking, you could even try a chicken broth. To make this, just boil up some fresh chicken, scoop off the solids once cooked, and feed him the luke warm soup that remains.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian