Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

The last few days he has been drooling a lot, like it just

Customer Question

the last few days he has been drooling a lot, like it just hangs down the side of his mouth. tonight he has become very lethargic not wanting to get up. he leaked a little urine on the floor that looked like pus in his urine and his nose is very cold and so is his body.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no, he seemed fine earlier today.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $14 after the Veterinarian responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry about the wait.

With the current signs of drooling, lethargy and dribbling urine, I would want to get a good oral exam and bloodwork run. The oral exam is to look for signs of a tooth root abscess. Often times, dental issues will present with drooling, fever if an abscess and decreased appetite.

The bloodwork is to look for kidney disease. Dogs with kidney disease can develop oral ulcers due to the high urea levels in the body. This can also cause increased urination, lethargy and dehydration.

The treatment will depend on the cause. If it's a dental issue, the infected teeth are diagnosed with x-rays and then surgically removed. If it's kidney disease, we treat with IV fluids, antibiotics and monitoring the kidney values daily. These dogs often take 3-5 days in the hospital to get back to normal, so he may need some intense care at the vet.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.