Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has a small puncture wound to her eye. Cloudiness is…

Customer Question
My dog has a...

My dog has a small puncture wound to her eye. Cloudiness is noted also.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No. It happened a couple of days ago and I noticed her keeping her eye closed and it draining. I have finally been able to look at it now that she's opening her eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

Hailey and she's 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hailey?

She had an injury to this eye before causing a puncture wound very similar to this one.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/5/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 years ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Good evening, thanks for your question. It looks like the professional you were hoping to speak with is not available right now, so I have stepped in to offer you assistance in their absence.

Do you have a picture of the puncture to her eye and the eye cloudiness?

What caused the puncture?

No I don't have a picture. She won't keep it open long enough to take one. It's VERY small and at the edge of the color of her eye. It's about the size of the tip of a pen. We think it was from a dog bite. The neighbors dog and Hailey got into a few days ago. We here Hailey yelping and ran outside.
The cloudiness just started today and I only notice it when I shine a light in her eye
Are you still there?
Hello??

The cloudiness you're seeing sounds like a corneal ulcer. There's more information here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/corneal-ulcers-in-dogs/541

She's likely keeping the eye closed due to a great deal of discomfort that comes along with ulcers of this type. Whatever caused the injury probably opened a small wound on the surface of the eye, which has developed that cloudy appearance with time. This usually takes 24-48 hours of time to develop, but it can be a big deal for a dog. The worse the ulcers are the more risk there is that the dog's eye may be permanently damaged. In some cases, blindness can ensue.

I would urge you to have an exam performed on this eye and have your vet prescribe medications to help cut down on the discomfort within the eye, as well as help it to heal. They will likely want to perform a dye stain to see if there is any other developing ulcer within that eye and potentially the other one. Most dogs have greatly improvement comfort after the first dose or two of medication and these types of injuries, if addressed soon enough, heal within 10-14 days with no lasting effects.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I will be compensated for my time with you this evening. If questions remain, please reply so that I may help you further.

Would tobramycin help? It's what they gave her last time this happened

Tobramycin may help. It's your choice if you wish to repeat the same treatment as last time. I always recommend that customers see their vet each time something happens to an eye. The biggest risk is that a dog might lose sight in that eye because it wasn't examined and addressed in time. I've seen cases where there were things within the eye causing the squinting and without removal they'd have made things worse over time. This is why I'd recommend an exam but if you have tobramycin on hand and wish to follow the same treatment protocol as last time, that is also an option. You can also have an exam performed and let the vet know that you still have meds from last time and ask them if it's still an ideal medication for the injury this time around, too

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse