Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I think my Boston Terrier ate 3 0.5 mg Requip. Will this…

Customer Question
I think my Boston...

I think my Boston Terrier ate 3 0.5 mg Requip. Will this hurt him? He weighs 40 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your Boston terrier will be able to digest that. What is the Boston terrier's name and age?

His nam is Duke and he his 1 year old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Boston terrier's name?

Duke

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?

Other than that he is healthy and active and a regular Boston Terrier

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
3/5/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Ropinirole { Requip } is a dopamine agonist. With dogs at doses greater than 0.01 mg per kg of your dog's bodyweight we can expect to see overdose side effects such as vomiting, lethargy, muscle tremors and elevated heart rates. You dog weighs 18.18 kg { 40 pounds } and took 1.5 mg so that works out at 0.08 mg per kg, in your case so side effects are very likely.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any serious symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. That said while distressing side effects are very likely there is said to be a low fatality rate associated with overdose of this drug particularly where veterinary intervention occurred. { But no guarantees }

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Duke is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Requip ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Duke is fine. Thank you.

Great news, I am so glad Duke came through this, I was quite worried about the situation ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers