Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 13yr old golden has diarrhea and vomited last night and…

Customer Question
Hi. My 13yr...

Hi. My 13yr old golden has diarrhea and vomited last night and this morning. Just went outside and I noticed his stools were very dark brown almost dark reddish brown with a lot of mucus..literally a lump of mucus was passed!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is not on any meds. Last yr he had blood work done...found he had an enlarged gall bladder mode. His liver was 'quiet' per the vets quote. I have him on senior kibble (brand Oriijen) . He has been drinking more water though....

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
3/4/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear your dog is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Diarrhoea and vomiting are very common in the dog and most cases are minor, however this sort of thing is always a gamble of course, particularly in older dogs so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea and vomiting in the dog which some owners try before getting their vets involved, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has otherwise somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort . Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. a couple of tablespoons twice a day would be fine for a dog of your one's size.

But the very important bot***** *****ne is that if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his gastroenteritis ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott