Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

M dog stopped having contractions, sansa, she is only 9

Customer Question
m dog stopped having contractions JA...
m dog stopped having contractions
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sansa, she is only 9 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sansa?
Customer: she had one pup, had contractions for a while and now she stopped contractions and is shivering
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
3/4/2016
Dog Specialist: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago
Ola Barrett

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am a licensed veterinarian. Typically, once the active stage of labor has begun, a pup should be born every 30 minutes-1 hour. This also applies to a very small breed dog who only has 1 puppy passing the placenta following birth of the puppy. If she has stopped laboring but in distress, you will need to get her a veterinarian right away. They may either give her an infection to help her labor along or detect if a puppy is lodged in her cervix. If this is the case, manually turning of the puppy and/or surgery may be required right away to save her and the puppies.

It is very concerning for us to see cats that do not eat for more than 24 hours, especially when we hear of potentially neurological symptoms such as stumbling or wobbling. If the symptoms of stumbling etc occurred BEFORE the decreased appetite, this may be due to a condition involving inflammation of the vestibular apparatus in the inner ear which can cause symptoms of vertigo with nausea and vomiting. Most times, once the symptoms of vertigo are treated, the appetite will resume. However, if the decreased appetite occurred first and then the wobbly behavior, then a number of conditions could be at play here, and the stumbling is occurring secondary to not eating..

At this point, I do believe the very best thing for Brutis is to have him seen by his regular veterinarian. A good physical exam and the correct diagnostics will help to determine where the problem lies and get him back on track.

I hope this advice was helpful to you:) Please do not forget to rate my answer.. I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with wonderful service. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dog Specialist: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago

Sorry for the sentence about Brutis.. The answer to you question accidentally merged with another answer about a different pet..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she still had some contractions after the 1st puppy came out but those have stopped. she is making small whimpering noises and is shivering some. it has been about 2.5 hours since the first puppy came out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she actually looks pretty normal right now, but there was only one puppy.
Dog Specialist: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago

If she is a toy breed or small breed dog and she passed the placenta with the puppy, I would not be as concerned. However, don't mistake a lack of contractions/end of labor with not having another puppy passing. Keep her calm (little stress without a lot of human/animal traffic around her), quiet and warm and watch her closely. Also, check her gum color.. if pale pink to white and dry then take her right away.. If normal pink color and moist, this is a good thing.. I hope this is helpful!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is a pitbull, not a toy breed. but she is only about 9 months old.
Dog Specialist: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago

Pit Bulls have a very high likelihood of dystocia due to the size of the puppies' head not being able to fit through the pelvis of the mother. Given that she is only 9 months old, she is at a higher risk because she is not full grown. Furthermore, it is highly unlikely that she only has one puppy. Frankly, you need to seek veterinary care right away as this is considered an emergency and she may require a caesarean surgery..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i put her in the car to go to the vet and the had another puppy before we got out onto the street. this is about 3.5 hours after the frst puppy. Do we still need to go to the vet? Its very difficult for me as i have other dogs that get loose sometimes and my neighbor had a screaming match with me yesterday saying he will shoot my dogs if he sees them lose again. Much much easier if we dont need to go to the vet right now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she had another puppy, is what that should say
Dog Specialist: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago
Sorry for delayed response I was in an appointment. Yes, it is great that she had another puppy. I understand that it may hard to take her in to a veterinarian but I do think it is best. As long as her labor continues, she will tire out and may need some assistance to help her through her contractions.. It will be harder to get her in later when the situation is more dire..
Dog Specialist: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello, I am just checking in to see how Sansa and her puppies are doing? i hope everything went well. Please remember to rate our conversation and let me know if I can assist you further:)

Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett