Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My name is ***** ***** and my 7 yr old terrier is holding

Customer Question
My name is ***** *****...
My name is ***** ***** and my 7 yr old bull terrier is holding head head down and has his tail low He's acting weird. He lays down and then gets up walks back and forth then lays down I notice his tummy looks bloated. He keeps locking his chops kind of like he's nauseous but hasn't thrown up.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He isn't acting like himself. He isn't comfortable for long and then gets up again walks around with his tail and head hanging low
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2016
Dog Specialist: VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech replied 1 year ago
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech

Hi there, I'm sorry it's taken someone so long to get back with you. How is your boy doing right now? Is he still acting ill?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's laying down for longer periods of time. He's trying to sleep but wakes up and takes a few steps before coming back to me and laying down again.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gave him high alkaline water and he drank it. I let him go outside and he peed and cane right back in.

How long has he had this behavior? Also, does he chew rawhides, had he eaten something recently that he shouldn't have, or gotten into a large quantity of his food?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A couple of days ago we noticed that he was eating food a neighbor threw away and it looked creamy. I'm not sure what it was. He's still getting up and just hangs his head low and walks away then stops and cones back. He seems uncomfortable. Not as bad as earlier but still acting weird. I keep seeing bloat coming up when doing searches but I'm not sure he's got thay.

Bloat or an obstruction would be the main concern, and would be considered an emergency. It is possible that since he got into some old trash, he may have gotten into something that didn't agree to him, or potentially contracted a bacterial infection.

If it is possible, it's probably safest to get him into the emergency clinic tonight to have him evaluated and rule out the possible emergency situations such as bloat or an obstruction (like if he ingested something else from the old trash that isn't passing through). He is within the right time frame when we start to see signs of obstruction, and that can include slight bloating, lack of appetite, nausea and vomiting, restlessness and inability to lie down due to discomfort, straining to pass a stool, and lethargy/tiredness. The signs also seem similar to what he's describing know. An obstruction can be life-threatening, so the sooner he gets treatment, the better.

If you are absolutely unable to get him into the clinic tonight, pull away his food and water for the evening, and get him into the clinic first thing tomorrow. If he starts to vomit profusely, if his gums grow pale, or he grows unresponsive when you're trying to rouse him, those are signs that he's in more immediate danger.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just let him out and he pooped, it was very smelly and it was a lot. He wagged his tail several times and that's an improvement but he is still laying down and getting up, standing around then tries laying down again. He panted a few times tonight but not much. He keeps trying to lay down to rest and now he's passing gas that is really smelly. I hope that's a good sign. I was rubbing him and trying to get him to relax and sleep but he just lays there with his eyes open. It's almost 4 am and the vet opens at 7, I think I'm going to wait until I can take him in, I can't afford emergency care, and he seems to be improving slightly, his tail wags off and on and he's passing gas. I hope this all passes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Based on what I've told you, do you think his passing gas and pooping is an improvement?

Pooping is definitely something we want to see, because it means something is passing through, though depending on where the blockage is in his GI tract, there could have been food ahead of it that is now coming through. I have my fingers crossed that the gas means he's just got a sick tummy and is starting to get rid of the discomfort. Hopefully he continues in that vein while you wait for the vet to open, and don't hesitate to get him in if he gets worse. Also make sure to pull away his food and water, if only to give his tummy a chance to settle down over the next few hours!

VetTechErin
VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech