Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My husband took out a trash can thats on our deck and

Customer Question
usually just has cardboard, etc...
My husband took out a trash can thats on our deck and usually just has cardboard, etc. But apparently one of his family members dumped left over beef and noodles into that trash can and we didn't know. This would of happened at least 2-3 months ago because thats the last time they were here. Well when he took bag out of the can, it broke and the beef and noodles went everywhere. I wasn't home, and my husband didn't think to put dogs inside immediately and just let them eat it. He said probably 2 bowls worth of food. Disgusting!! I have no idea what he was thinking!! Anyway this was about 2 hours ago, no vomiting from either dog(a 20 lb rat terrier and a 45 lb lab mix); but my rat terrier was shaking a little bit ago like he does when he gets scared, but he wasn't scared. He is laying down and sleeping now, as is my lab. Should I be worried? What do I do??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
3/4/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 years ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hi Ashley, thanks for your question. Can you answer some additional questions for me?

1) how old are both of your dogs?
2) Any medical concern history for either of them?

My rat terrier is 9 years old, my lab mix is 5 years old. Neither of them have any medical history other than a little arthritis in my rat terrier.

Thank you for your prompt response. It will take me about 10 minutes to type a response for you. Feel free to standby, if you like. Otherwise the website will notify you when it's come though. I will be sure you have your questions answered before signing off for the evening.

When it comes to any type of food ingestion, whether that's old or food that's not old, we always worry about vomiting and diarrhea. Typically, it's the smaller of the two dogs who usually has stomach issues, so I would keep a very close eye on your rat terrier. Labs tend to have a stronger stomach, hopefully that means he will do just fine.

If you see any vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, refusal to eat, drink, wobbling when walking, retching and producing no vomiting, straining to produce stool, etc. you'll need to have the pup in question seen by a vet. In the meanwhile, keep feeding them normally and otherwise carry on like nothing happened. If you are going to see signs of concern, it should be within the first 48 hours to follow ingestion of the food in question.

You may wish to obtain some famotidine, just in case. This can help settle a dog's stomach if they are feeling unwell. Dosing instructions are available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/famotidine-for-dogs/ and you can give it prophylactically for a few days if you wish. It won't hurt either of them.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. This is the only way that I am compensated for helping you today. Your satisfaction is my focus. If questions remain that I can answer on this topic, don't hesitate to reply and I will be happy to help you further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willis. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy