Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Dog ate a couple of mini duraflame logs 24 hours ago,

Customer Question
dog ate a couple of...
dog ate a couple of mini duraflame logs 24 hours ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Margie, almost 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Margie?
Customer: She's a therapy dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Good evening, thanks for your question. The professional you were hoping to speak with is not currently available, so I have stepped in to assist you in their absence. Can you tell me more about what is going on with Miss Margie?
Is she having any concerning symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has been 24 hours since this happened. I was curious how potentially dangerous it is

Thankfully, they're not extremely toxic. We usually see GI upset, but because they're made from waxes and sawdust, there's a potential for gastric blockage. If a blockage does happen, she may need to have surgery to remove the blockage. In some rare cases, the logs may contain heavy metals which can lead to a toxicity but it's considered quite rare.

You'll want to keep a close eye on her for any signs of concern such as vomiting, diarrhea, being unwilling to eat or drink, unable to pass stool, nausea, etc. If you see any of these signs, you'll need to have her seen promptly by your vet's office.

There's more info here from poison control: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/firestarter-logs/

As well, Duraflame also has a FAQ on their website about this (it's actually fairly common for dogs to eat them, especially in winter time): https://www.duraflame.com/safety-tips/pet-safety

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. This is the way that I am compensated for my time with you this evening. Your satisfaction is my focus, so if other questions remain or I can help you further in any way just let know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will pumpkin help?

Pumpkin may help to sweep the gut of leftover wood fibers as it travels through. Usually we'd expect to see symptoms within the first 24-48 hours if they're to have an issue, so watching her stool may inform you of when those fibers are passing. Pumpkin may also help with any diarrhea that she might acquire from eating the logs. It certainly won't hurt to give it to her with her regular meals.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse