Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My pomeranian had a litter of puppies about 1 week ago. This…

Customer Question
My pomeranian had a litter...
My pomeranian had a litter of puppies about 1 week ago. This is her 2nd litter. As the days progressed everything was fine until today. A short while ago she looked dazed (would be the closest way to describe her) her eyes were glassy and she look confused. Then out of no where she started to have tremors ( not a seizure) but like muscle spasms. Her legs flailed all over the place. Her gums are pink and her tongue is also pink. I called my vets emergency number and they are going to see her tomorrow morning at 10:30am but I am just afraid she won't make it til then and I do not have enough money to cover the emergency visit cost. The vet although not allowed to give medical advice over the phone has said that she thought it was a calcium deficiency and to give her plain non fat vanilla yogurt (which I have done and although her symptoms have gotten a little bit better she is still in bad shape) she is panting a lot and is having a hard time walking (almost not capable at all). She is drinking water. I checked her body temperature and she is running a 105.8 fever so I am doing what Maggie has done and gave her a room temperature bath. I will update after that. Please help me I am so very worried about her. She was a present from my mother in law/best friend who has since past away and I can't lose my little pomeranian "trouble" as well. Please help I am begging you. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any help you can provide.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
3/1/2016
Dog Specialist: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Trouble. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I agree that this could be eclampsia, low blood calcium, also known as milk fever. A mother puts so much of her body's calcium into her milk that her blood calcium level gets too low.

The fever fits in with this condition. The baths may help, but as long as her calcium is too low, she will continue to have a fever. That is why it is called "milk fever".

She really needs emergency care; this condition can be fatal. If you truly can't get her to a vet tonight, I would take the puppies away from her so they don't drain her of any more calcium. If you can give her calcium and vitamin D supplements tonight, that might help.

Usually we treat these dogs with IV calcium, and then send the dog home on calcium supplements and vitamin D. Sometimes you have to hand raise the puppies so they don't take more milk and calcium out of her but if you can keep her calcium levels up with supplements they may be able to stay together.

I would not wait until 10:30 tomorrow; be at your vet when they open and make them look at her and measure her blood calcium level. But it would be far better to take her to emergency tonight.

It is not the best thing for the puppies to take them away from her, but if you really want to save her that would be best. They will survive, and you can get puppy milk replacer for them tomorrow.

Please let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian