Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Yesterday out of the blue my 11 year old yellow labs nose…

Customer Question
Yesterday out of the...

Yesterday out of the blue my 11 year old yellow labs nose and mouth got a blood red color. It appeared she had some swelling as well. She has been on medication for awhile for arthritis but we have not introduced anything new.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She is talking dasaquin, tramadol and gabapentin.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/29/2016
Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

It sounds as if she possibly had a allergic reaction to something. When it effect the muzzle like that it is referred to as angioedema. It is not uncommon that we don't ever figure out what triggered it and as long as it doesn't become a recurrent event, it is not necessary that we do.

If it occurs again, It would be ok to give a dose of non-prescription Benadryl until you could get them in to the vet clinic. The dose is 1-2 mg per pound that your dog weighs so a 50 lb dog would get between 50 to 100 mg. This can be repeated two times per day. The pill that is available over the counter is typically 25 mg. Make sure that there are no other "cold-type" medications in it like decongestants.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z