Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Just came home to a box of shredded SOS pads. I cannot tell…

Customer Question
Just came home to a...
Just came home to a box of shredded SOS pads. I cannot tell if my two large dogs 65 and 85 lbs ate them if they just shredded them or how many they ate. I was away from home for an hour and a half??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/28/2016
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Are both dogs able to eat and drink okay?

Are they acting normally?

can you give the dogs a piece of bread ?

Steel wool like SOS pads if eaten can cause problems and because you are not sure if they actually ate them it is best to assume they may have.

1; the pad is abrasive and can cause severe stomach upset

2: the detergent can cause diarrhea or vomiting within 6 to 24 hours

3: the pad can cause an obstruction of the intestinal tract

4; it it sits in the stomach it can rust causing iron toxicity

I would give both dogs a slice or two of bread wait a few minutes for that to go down then induce vomiting with \3% hydrogen peroxide . instruction to do this can be found here.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs

you can repeat this once if the dog has not vomited in 10 to 15 minutes. If non of the pad comes up then you should see your vet or emergency vet as it may be in the intestines.