Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is 70 pounds and just swallowed a 10mg

Customer Question
My dog is 70...

My dog is 70 pounds and just swallowed a 10mg cyclobenzaprine.....will she be okay?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Sally

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sally?

I don't think so....she swiped it off the counter

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/27/2016
Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Sally today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

That amount of cyclobenzaprine in that size dog is just at the level where we could start to see toxic side effects. Since it hasn't been that long since she ingested it, you could try to evacuate her stomach so less would be absorbed. Do you have any peroxide in the house?

I have given her some peroxide based on other responses that I read here but she hasn't vomited. It's been about an hour

OK, how is she acting currently?

Pretty normal I think. Just laying around

Can you put your fingers on her chest and feel her heart? If so, can you get a heart rate (beats per minute)?

I think about 90? It was hard to feel

Good!

The typical signs we would expect to see after an overdose would be depression, wobbly gait, increased heart rate, vocalizing, dilated pupils (not responding well to direct light), hyperactive, and/or other behavior disorders. It doesn't sound like you are seeing any of those and since you were right on the edge of where we would start to see them, you may be lucky. This drug's effects can persist for a long time, so I would continue to monitor for the next day or so. If any of the above signs occur, I would seek immediate veterinary attention for treatment with drugs to reverse the signs.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

24-48 hours to be in the clear?

Yes, if you don't see any of those signs by then, you should be out of the woods.

Thank you.

You are most welcome and good luck.

petdrz.
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian