Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My pit ran off the other night and when she came back she…

Customer Question
my pit ran off the...
my pit ran off the other night and when she came back she seemed ok but the next morning she wouldnt open her eyes and she is rubbing them on the ground and they are very sensitive to sun light and she acts like she cant see and is running into things even when its night time. the whites of her eyes are red and the middle part is cloudy. what can i do to help her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/27/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Your dog may have glaucoma or Anterior Uveitis or a corneal ulcer or cataracts. Symptoms of Glaucoma include conjunctivitis (red eye), discharge from the eye, light sensitivity, possible swollen eye. As the condition worsens and pressure increases, the pupil can dilate and the cornea becomes cloudy. It is important to diagnose this early to save the dog’s sight in the eye. Depending upon the underlying cause for the Glaucoma, the other eye could also be at danger as well. Treatment depends upon identifying the underlying cause for the increased pressure in the eye. You can read more about this here;

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/glaucoma-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Symptoms of Anterior Uveitis are similar and include redness, tearing, squinting in bright light, small or uneven pupil, cloudy appearance to the eye and a unevenly colored iris. Treatment for this condition may be topical or oral medication depending on the cause. You can read more about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/anterior-uveitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

A corneal ulcer may also be to blame and may be caused by injury, eyelashes scratching the eye and has similar symptoms to those of glaucoma and anterior uveitis. The third eyelid frequently covers the eye so sometimes the eye is not able to be seen. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/corneal-ulceration-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You can read up on Cataracts here:

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/ocular%20disorders/cataracts.htm

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cataracts-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The following site goes over reasons for cloudiness of the eye.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cloudy-eye-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Since something may have happened while she was out, it is hard to determine what the actual problem is. She may have encountered someone who sprayed her with somethink like pepper spray. She may have injured her eyes running through high grass or bushes. In addition, a luxating lens can cause cloudiness but rarely does that happen at the exact same time.

As you have seen, this could be an emergency situation depending on the severity of the condition. Some cloudiness as a dog ages is normal and called nuclear sclerosis. Cholesterol or triglyceride deposits can also cause cloudiness as well. But the fact this came on so suddenly to both eyes after she was out of your care basically, I would suspect an injury. I would have my dog seen as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the eye.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Will it hurt to use human eye drops in her eyes?

Many of the drops used on dogs are indeed human medications, but I can't tell you that you can use any prescription human medication on a dog without your vet first being notified. In addition, without knowing the underlying cause for the cloudiness and redness, you don't the appropriate treatment. Now it is appropriate to flush the eye out with a sterile eye wash or sterile solutions such as contact lens wearers use. This may help remove any foreign object that might be in the eye. You might look up a specific medication on this site to see precautions, side effects and dosage.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library

Following up to see how your dog is doing and if you found my answer helpful.