Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 20 pound 15 year old Daschund who is having more…

Customer Question
I have a 20...

I have a 20 pound 15 year old Daschund who is having more problems with back pain. What can i give him for pain. i know he is close to his life expectancy but want him to live his remaining days with as little pain as possible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Toby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?

Right now he is having difficulty walking a lot but he has good days and bad days. For example just the day before yesterday he seemed to be feeling much better. Then last night through today he is feeling worse. I guess he is like an older human - some good and some not so good.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No but i am going to do that just to make sure. I think it is his back because it seems to bother him when he is laying down and then turns. I will still check out his feet.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/27/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The only over the counter pain reliever that is relatively safe is buffered aspirin and even that can't be given all the time. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If you do not have him on senior dog food with glucosamine, you might want to do that as it can help with joint issues. For pain related to a disc issue, your vet may prescribe. Now common pain relievers your vet might prescribe would be tramadol or Gabapentin. However, often pain can be relieved by reducing the inflammation so often other medications such as rimadyl or metacam are prescribed to help ease the pain by reducing the inflammation.

If you want to read on the various medication often prescribed, the following page is very helpful and you can discuss the choices with your vet.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/healingpage.htm

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.