Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

What is it when your dog pee is yellow

Customer Question
What is it when your dog pee is yellow
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
2/26/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 2o years of experience as a veterinarian.

Urine that is noticeably darker yellow in color compared to usual is more concentrated urine, less water in the urine.

There are a number of things that can cause this to happen.

Dehydration is probably the most common, so any disease process that interferes with proper fluid intake and water being absorbed is a possibility.

But increased amounts of bilirubin in the urine (which can be due to liver disease or increased numbers of red blood cells being broken/damaged and their pigments being processed by the liver), an infection, or even dyes in the food can also influence urine color.

If your fellow Diego is feeling poorly, especially if the whites of his eyes look yellow and he is lethargic, running a fever, eating poorly or is vomiting and having bright orange or yellow stools then it is time to see his veterinarian.

I'm sorry I cannot be more specific, but this isn't a characteristic change that points to one disease process, but rather a symptom that encompasses lots of reasons that all lead to dehydration and increased urine concentrations.

Hi Patrick,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Diego. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian