Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is 2.5 years old, has been throwing up after eating…

Customer Question
My dog is 2.5...

My dog is 2.5 years old, has been throwing up after eating for 2 days. the first night she threw up some yellow/orange bile 1.5hrs after drinking some water - her tummy was empty at the time. yesterday we took her to the vet and was prescribed zitac - half a pill every 8 hrs. she had half a pill at the vet with some treats but threw up 3 hours later. we gave her the next half pill with her dinner and she was able to drink water and kept her dinner down. however, we gave her the next half pill with breakfast this morning and she threw up 1.5hrs later. Should i be worried. she's on royal canin sensitive wet food since last night.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She's very keen on food, very playful. my vet examined her yesterday and there was no discomfort in her tummy she let me touch, stroke her tummy just fine like usual. she still goes on her walk, bouncy as usual her throwing up only started on monday morning, 1-2hrs after she got a slice of dehydrated lamb heart - this was the first time she had it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
i also just want to add, she normally eats once main meal a day but with a bit of treat in the morning and evening. we changed her food 2 weeks ago. for the past 2 days that she's been sick, her poos have been normal, a bit soft but not runny
2/24/2016
Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

It may be that the lamb upset her GI tract and her vomiting and softer stool are due to that. It can take a few days for her stomach to settle down. I am a lot less worried since she had an exam yesterday and you have medication that you are giving her. Her having a good appetite still is also a good sign.

While her gut is settling down, it would be a good idea to fast her for at least 12 hours. Since she is an adult dog, a 12 hr fast will not hurt her. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of the royal canin diet. If the vomiting and the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food and feeding schedule. If she continues to vomit however, I would let your vet know and they may want to prescribe a different medication or follow up with abdominal xrays.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

the med seemed to help last night as she was able to hold down water as well as her dinner. though this morning i gave her the next half pill of zitac followed by a small breakfast, she threw up again 1.5 hrs later. should i give her zitac first before feeding? could it be that she was so hungry that she gulped down her food too quickly?
when you say fast her for 12 hrs, can i give her zitac during this time? her last meal and zitac were @ 7:30 this morning. my vet said half a pill every 8hrs, can i give her the next half pill at 5? and food after 7:30 pm?
Thank you

Yes, that is what I would do is to give the zitac at least 30-60 min before she eats. Pill at 5 and small meal at 7:30. If she keeps that down, you can continue to offer small meals every few hours so as to split up her daily rations into multiple smaller offerings. Try to offer her water in smaller amounts as well so she can't drink a lot at one time.

Good luck with her and I hope she is feeling better soon.