Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Chilling standard poodle. What is wrong? She is 2 and a

Customer Question
Chilling standard poodle....

Chilling standard poodle. What is wrong?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She is 2 and a half, and for two days when she sits on my lap, she chills.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Her nose is dry but cool
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/24/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is this the only time she trembles?

How much does she weigh?

Is she eating and drinking and eliminating normally?

Does she normally sit on your lap?

Does she have any swelling around the rectal area?

Is she scooting her rear on the floor?

Is she spayed?

Any other information you think I need to know about her?

She trembles just suddenly, like a if you get a chill suddenly. 50 ins
She is not fixed. She eats normal and drinks normal, stools and pees okay. She sits on my lap a lot. No swelling around her butt. Doesn't drag her butt around on the carpet. When she chills it is maybe every 60 seconds or so, and sometimes she does not do it. It's just started in the last 3 days. Right now she is not doing it, but she will later. She was groomed Friday. She may have been doing this before, because she just started sitting on my lap or in my bed.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

Shaking or trembling in toy breeds at a young age could be due to hypoglycemia, liver shunt, or a neurologic response such as a seizure. Trembling can also be a sign of pain, stress and cold. Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and frequently causing trembling in small breeds. Feeding your dog smaller meals more frequently can help. If you suspect your dog is having low blood sugar you can put a drop of pancake syrup on your dog's tongue which should raise the level.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

A liver shunt is usually a genetic condition. It is a condition where instead of the blood going through the liver and being cleansed, part of the blood is diverted around the liver resulting in a toxic buildup in the blood. You can read about these here: http://www.malteseonly.com/shunt2.html

Seizures can manifest as trembling and a dog may not lose conscienceness. You can read more about seizures here: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_seizure_disorder.html

You indicate that she just started sitting on your lap and in your bed. If that is the case, the trembling might be due to stress of fear. If seh is new to you or just being allowed on the furniture, it might be putting her under stress. She may not know that you are ok with her being up there and thus is worried. If this is the case, it should resolve with time alone.

If she was trimmed at the groomer, the groomer may have clipped her too short somewhere and she may be a little chilled but I would expect her to continue the trembling no matter where she is sitting. The same would apply if she was trembling due to pain. As long as she is eating, drinking, eliminating and moving pretty normal, I'd monitor her. If it continues to be an issue, then I'd have your vet take a quick look at her.

Of course, if she develops other symptoms have her seen earlier.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

The second site about seizures does not come up.

Sorry about that. Here is the updated link.

http://www.marvistavet.com/seizure-disorder.pml

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?