Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Thank you I have a 15 year old pet that is looking very

Customer Question
Hello yes..thank you I have...
Hello yes..thank you I have a 15 year old pet that is looking very sick..he has arthritis but this is something else.I first noticed his condition earlier today when he began to feature as he wanted to throw up...so I thought he ate something or something was bothering his stomach.he also started walking with more struggles than usual but he seems to be dizzy and his struggle to walk is not just his arthritis and now I noticed his stomach is swelling from the left side and he seems to want to drink water but something is not allowing him to as he walks to the plate but wont drink..his intention is there though...the stomach is swelling pretty bad on the left...what can this be? And what can I do to help releave his condition until we can take him to the vet tomorrow morning.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
2/23/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello Alvero

My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

I am keeping this reply short for the sake of speed : Disease conditions involving distension of the stomach always give great cause for concern. In fact one of these diseases { Bloat or twisted stomach } can be quickly fatal.

My advice to you is that you should take your dog to a vet without delay, even if this means using an ER vet. Better safe than sorry ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could this also have to do with his new supplements NUPRO our vet okayed it but we did start giving him a heart medicine which I failed to consult the vet before hand.it is called NaturIst healthy heart liquid herbal extract.I will start looking for ER around my area it doesn't seem to be getting any better but I do value your opinion.

Hi, my concern is that you might be dealing with Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (GDV), often referred to as "bloat", "twisted stomach" or "gastric torsion," you can read more about it via this link : LINK

Of course there are other possible diagnosis but this form of bloat is quickly fatal unless you act quickly.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Buddy is getting on after our recent dialogue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Alvaro,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?