Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 9 week bloodhound male puppy who's house training…

Customer Question
I have a 9...

I have a 9 week bloodhound male puppy who's house training and crate training and just now I took him out and he peed 7 times

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He doesn't get water all the time so I don't understand why he's peeing all the time

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/22/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

How much is he drinking in cups?

Is he eliminating in his crate?

he goes in his crate in a day he drinks 4 cups in a day but when he's done he wants more but I don't give him anymore
We just got him I've had male pups I never saw this before

hi JaCustomer,

7 times a day for a 9 week old pup is not too bad. 9 week old pups tend to urinate a lot. Usually they urinate after they eat and drink, after they wake up, before they go to sleep, after playing even if it was just for 5 minutes. So urinating that much is not that unusual. They really don't have control over their bladder much either at this age. He may have never been an inside dog and many pups raised outside tend to eliminate where they are whenever they feel the urge.

Now it is possible he has a urinary tract infection causing excessive urination. In that case I would expect him to drink more as well as urinate more. A dog needs a cup of water for each 8 pounds of body weight each day and pups need a little more, so if he is drinking more than 1.5 cups of water per 8 pounds of body weight, then I might suspect a urinary tract infection.

Dogs need to be taught how to hold their bladder. Crate training helps teach them as if they don't learn to hold it, then end up laying in wet urine which they don't like. It takes them until they are older to control the bladder for longer and longer periods of time and most aren't totally house trained until they are 5-6 months of age. Let me give you a site on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that he needs to go out.

If he is drinking more than normal and you really think he is urinating excessively, go ahead and have your vet take a look at him. He is likely going to need either deworming or a vaccination pretty soon if he doesn't already need one. It is always a good idea to have your vet take a look when you get a puppy anyway. Often contracts received with a new pup are voided if the pup is not examined by a vet within a certain period of time.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.