Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog oke up with a metallic breath to it
, she is a…

Customer Question
My dog oke up...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with Oke?

She is a dog and woke up with metallic smelling breath

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Oke?

She is 9.5 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oke?

She has a cold right now, but otherwse healthy. Had an active day yesterday

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/22/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is she eating?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

When you mentioned that she has a "cold", what signs are you seeing?

she is eating. No diarrhea. Cold is presenting with cough.
she has had two injections. It has lasted quite awahile.

Thanks for the information. I do want to get a couple more pieces of information from you. How long has she had the cough? Do you know what injections she received?

she's had the cough for 2-3 months. The injections were put in at the back of the neck Supposedly side affect free.

Thanks for the information. You will get that metallic smell usually from bleeding from somewhere. It could be from bleeding gums due to dental problems, some bleeding in the stomach or even from the respiratory passages. If she has had a chronic cough for a couple months, that can cause a lot of irritation to the trachea. You can also get some bleeding from an ulcer in the stomach or small intestinal tract. I would expect some vomiting and/or lack of appetite, though. Either way, if the metallic aroma is new, it would be concerning enough for me to have your vet check her out soon. If she hasn't had any recheck blood work or chest x-rays, that would definitely be a good idea to get done. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet