Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a chihuahua. I am disabled, and on a pension and

Customer Question

I have a chihuahua. I am disabled, and on a pension and can't afford a vet. My dog is a rescue dog, who just had puppies. She is dehydrated and can't stop panting. I have been giving her water, and now pedialyte, from a dropper because she won't leave her puppies enough to care for herself and get enough to eat and drink. I fell asleep, and when I
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I need to know how often to give her the pedicure
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: I need to know how often to give her the pedialyte. She us panting, can't walk and is whining to get to her puppies. Should i let her nurse?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for your sweet gal is that she is suffering from a condition called Hypocalcemia. This means that her body has used up all of her calcium in the milk and producing the puppies and this causes the panting and difficulty walking and whining. This is a very serious condition and if left untreated, could be life threatening for your gal. I know you cannot afford a vet but you may not have a choice with this. Do not let her nurse the puppies since this will further use up her calcium and take her to your vet as soon as possible. You can continue giving the Pedialyte at 2 teaspoons every 2 hrs that will give her some electrolytes and help decrease the dehydration.

I wish I could be more help but I fear that your sweet girl may be in danger.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta