Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a chihuahua. I am disabled, and on a pension and

Customer Question
I have a chihuahua...

I have a chihuahua. I am disabled, and on a pension and can't afford a vet. My dog is a rescue dog, who just had puppies. She is dehydrated and can't stop panting. I have been giving her water, and now pedialyte, from a dropper because she won't leave her puppies enough to care for herself and get enough to eat and drink. I fell asleep, and when I

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I need to know how often to give her the pedicure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/20/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for your sweet gal is that she is suffering from a condition called Hypocalcemia. This means that her body has used up all of her calcium in the milk and producing the puppies and this causes the panting and difficulty walking and whining. This is a very serious condition and if left untreated, could be life threatening for your gal. I know you cannot afford a vet but you may not have a choice with this. Do not let her nurse the puppies since this will further use up her calcium and take her to your vet as soon as possible. You can continue giving the Pedialyte at 2 teaspoons every 2 hrs that will give her some electrolytes and help decrease the dehydration.

I wish I could be more help but I fear that your sweet girl may be in danger.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta