Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Trixie is a 12 year old rescue 4 lb. Tea-Cup Poodle that I…

Customer Question
Hello! Trixie is a...

Hello! Trixie is a 12 year old rescue 4 lb. Tea-Cup Poodle that I received when she was 3i. Nne days ago she underwent tooth extractions of all remaining teeth, 6 total due to infections. Take home meds included c

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Gabapentin and c

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

And Clindamycin. She is frantic with pawing her mouth on both sides incessantly. Appetite is good. Took her back to the doctor yesterday. He probed the area and found nothing. Trixie gets so exhausted pawing I see personality changes. Sure I will wait...and pay

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/19/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with Trixie. I would stop administering both the clindamycin and gabapentin in case Trixie is experiencing an adverse drug reaction which often manifests as facial pruritis (itchiness) in dogs. You'll know within 36 hours if such a reaction is occurring. For now, a low dose of the antipruritic tranquilizer acepromazine should be considered in an attempt to give Trixie relief and needed rest. If her behavior persists in spite of stopping the drugs and administering the tranquilizer, the orally administered narcotic buprenorphine should be considered as both a potent analgesic ("number" of her face) and sedative.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?