Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dogs eye is red and he keeps rubbing it i the snow. I…

Customer Question
My dogs eye is...

My dogs eye is red and he keeps rubbing it i the snow. I washed it with warm water but wonder if I could give her antibotic eye drops or a azithromycin. I am poor and can't afford to take him to vet until first of the month

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Eye?

Sadie is 11 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eye?

It sags on the bottom so you can see the inside when she looks sometimes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/19/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It is possible that she may have gotten something in the eye or rubbed an ulcer on the cornea. If all you have is sterile antibiotic eye ointment (NO STEROIDS IN IT!), then that shouldn't harm anything. I would try getting some saline eye rinse first, though, and rinsing the eye out with that. If the eye starts to look worse, though, I wouldn't hesitate to get her to the vet sooner. If there is an ulcer, and it continues to get worse, it can affect vision. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.