Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 6 old English mastiff normally goes barking at the window

Customer Question
if there is any body...
My 6 old English mastiff normally goes barking at the window if there is any body out front she's not friendly today she just laid in the bed when the propane guy pulled in driveway not normal and she just keeps laying around also noticed her breathing has slowed down I'm worried
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
2/19/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple questions to see if I can better assess your situation.

How is her appetite?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Does she have any problems walking around? You can even get her up if necesary.

What color are her gums?

If you press into her abdomen from both sides at the same time, is she painful or uncomfortable?

Did she receive all sets of her puppy vaccines?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No other symptoms her walking haas been slowing down last few months we figure she probably has some arthritis or hip dysplasia not as active as usual but we figure that's slowing down due to her age yes she is current on everything her weight the vet tells us is great for her bred 140 lbs now the only health issue she has always had is she has blood in urine had blood work X-rays no stones no infection they said they could take a scope up in her kidneys or ultra sound we said no because we love her didn't want to keep putting her through test

Thanks for the information. I just want to clear a couple things up.

Has the blood in her urine been constant?

Where there any abnormalities on her last set of blood work?

What about the color of her gums?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she always did every time they take urine there is always blood started as far as we know for sure she was about 2 yrs old she kept licking down there took her to vet last time she had crystals put her on antibiotics again this was about 2 months ago about 3 weeks ago she started licking down there so we put her back on antibiotics again now this time we could not get her to take them no matter how we tricked her now our vet does not know this my husband said he will watch and wait to see how she does we have awesome vet but I think my husband is afraid to take her back her loves her more than me and that's saying alot

Thanks. What about any abnormalities on the previous blood work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her gums look good moist and a pretty pink yes I'm a nurse
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her blood work has always been all over the place high ph next time low ph crystals this time. None next time her urine has never been consisant and she always goes to the vet usually at least 6 times a year for this
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also would like to add never had pups spayed at 1yr

Thanks for the information. Realize that there are a few things that we can be dealing with here. It may very well be that her hips or other joints are hurting her if she has any degree of arthritis. This can be especially true if she had a lot of activity yesterday. If her appetite is normal, and she is not vomiting or having diarrhea, that may be all it is. The chronic blood in the urine is very concerning, though. I don't know how consistant that is, but if it goes on long enough, that can cause issues with anemia. On that very last post, you mentioned the pH and crystals, but that is on the urinalysis. I was asking more about the blood work they ran on her. That would evaluate red and white blood cell counts, platelets, liver enzymes, kidney enzymes, protein levels, calcium, phosphorus, electrolytes and blood glucose at the very least. If she has had higher than normal kidney enzymes in the past, that can be a concern for an underlying kidney condition. She has potentially had some bladder or kidney stone problems as well. Nothing right now is screaming emergency to me. As long as she is eating and not vomiting, that is usually a good sign, and she may even be feeling better tomorrow. If she is still just laying around tomorrow, I would definitely have her seen by your vet. I would recheck some blood work to be on the safe side. I would also seriously consider getting that ultrasound done. It is not invasive and really shouldn't cause her any discomfort. It may prove very insightful. If she seems like she is very weak, cannot walk, not eating, starts vomiting, has bloody stool, has pale gums, has a distended abdomen or has abdominal pain; I would get her seen by the vet ASAP. It is possible that there may even be a bulging disk in her back that causes some discomfort and makes her reluctant to move around a lot. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian