Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 2 year old Ivey is expecting pups any day now. I can see…

Customer Question
HI my 2 year old...
HI my 2 year old Ivey is expecting pups any day now. I can see baby's moving just fine and she has been nesting today and last night as well. She has been laying stretched out for 4 days as well. No temperature drop that I have caught as of yet. She didn't eat much yesterday on into this morning. She also peed today at one time with me catching some vaginal discharge left hanging. And she has began peeing in small amounts. She had one diarrhea around 7pm yesterday and I went to check on her around 330am today and she has loose stool with a small speckle of blood. Im.not sure if a hince of blood in stool is normal especially with it being so close to the end of her pregnancy but I wanted to make sure. I have not took her to a vet for any tests since pregnant. Because just in case she has complications I wanted to make sure I had money to rush her if need be. So is the hince of blood normal this is the first time I'm seeing it. She pees and poops on puppy pads and everything else seems fine..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/19/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, any blood in the stool is not normal and not associated with pregnancy or impending labor. Instead, it is more likely related to colonic irritation from the loose stool +/- could be related to worms (since they tend to increase their egg production around this time in hopes of infecting the puppies). Since it has only been a small bit, you do not need to panic but will want to monitor this. You can try her on a light diet (rice with chicken, white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg) for 24 hours or if she is very runny you can administer a small dose of OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (avoid any Imodium, Pepto Bismol, or any containing aspirin or salcyclic acid). As well, do keep an eye on her urination. Her passing small amounts may be related to her not having much space in her bladder due to pups pushing on it, could be due to vaginal irritation with the upcoming labor, but could also be a hint of a bladder infection. So, keep an eye and if it or the loose stools don't settle; then we'd want to consider a check up for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Okay she has completed another loose stool with no specks of blood also no blood in her urine more clear discharge. All the other sign's are reasons to believe she is in her last week correct. She has not seen a vet since pregnant but is up to date on all shots. So I wanted to make sure.

Hi again,

Good, I am glad to hear that there hasn't been any more blood. So, we will want to monitor that and can again use the above as needed. As well, if she hasn't been wormed, you could do so now with Panacur (as its safe for pregnant mums). Otherwise, she sounds like we are in the home stretch and I'd suspect we will see those pups over the next few days if not over this weekend.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Hi Kristie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Blue Ivey. How is everything going?
nekovet
No bloody stool temperature drop today all day has been 98.6 all day at one point is was 98.3 she is nesting more and continues to lay in her bed and then get up and go sit or stand in her kiddie pool the whelping box also the bone she had for a treat is what made her bleed
She is now panting heavily and temp has been low all day is this 2nd stage labor and when should I expect pups

Good morning,

That sounds like we should see them soon. In regards ***** ***** frame, its usually within 24 hours of the temperature drop and within a few hours of seeing first stage labor signs. So, hopefully she will deliver them without issue.

Take care & best wishes,

Dr. B.

** Please make sure to rate my service, as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian