Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I am ***** *****. Two days ago our Chichauaua really slowed

Customer Question

I am ***** ***** Davis. Two days ago our Chichauaua really slowed down. She still eats but the bottom right side of her belly is hard. Her gums seem to be normal color but she has not been able to run or play--when we try to pick her up she yelps.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What else would you like to know? She is 11 years old.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your Chihuahua has been slowing down. I'll do my best to help.

I'm glad to hear that her gums are normal in color - that's definitely a good sign. When I hear of dogs who are tense in the belly and vocalizing when they are picked up, the very first thing I think of is back pain. Abdominal pain is certainly a possibility, but we do see a lot of dogs with sore backs - just like lots of people get sore backs. Most people, just like most dogs, can't recall any specific injury that led to their back pain - sometimes you just wake up that way. Dogs with painful backs will tense up their belly muscles to try to stabilize their back and keep it from moving too much. They also do tend to cry out when we move them around and pick them up. Abdominal pain is a bit more difficult to nail down - it could be caused by a long list of diseases from things that would go away on their own in a day or two all the way up to life threatening emergencies. If she's got any distention of her belly or has any sort of respiratory distress, that's an indicator that it's time to seek emergency care. Since there are so many potential causes of the signs you're seeing, my suggestion would be to call your veterinarian and have her examined as soon as you're able. That way you can get a better idea of what's going on and get the most appropriate treatment for her.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara