Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate my pill fenofibrate 160mg
, Grunt he's 9…

Customer Question
my dog ate my...

my dog ate my pill fenofibrate 160mg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Grunt he's 9 mons old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He is a large breed - 100 lbs

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/18/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello Ken,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Ken

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. This drug is actually prescribed for dogs sometimes so it is not poisonous to them as such.

2. The usual dose rate for dogs is up to 4 mg per kg of bodyweight. Your dog weighs 45.45 KG { 100 pounds } so his top regular dose rate would be {45.45 kg X 4 mg } = 182 mg.

3. Clearly then the 160 mg he did swallow is within a regularly prescribed therapeutic dose rate so I would not expect any adverse side effects and there are no special measures you need take. Basically Grunt should be just fine { It is good he is a large breed dog } ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Ken,

I am just checking back in to see how Grunt is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Fenofibrate incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Grunt. How is everything going?