Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 1.5yo dog has been vomiting all day with once blood. He's…

Customer Question
Hello, my 1.5yo dog has...
Hello, my 1.5yo dog has been vomiting all day with once blood. He's very inactive and skiddish. Did drink some water when forced. Our vet is out until Thursday afternoon should we seek emergency care.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/17/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How often has he vomited?

How much blood did you see?

Does he have an appetite?

What color are his gums?

If you press on his abdomen from both sides at the same time, is he painful or uncomfortable?

Hello, sorry I missed this message. He has vomited about 10times the last about was about 1/8 cup blood stained vomit. He vomited after that and it was more bile.
No appetite at all, his gum are pink and he seems to be drooling a little. He doesn't bark just kind of moving around. Very unlike him.
It also seems like he can't physically drink...he's just setting by the water bowl with his mouth over it.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

If Brody is that lethargic and vomiting that frequently for that prolonged a period of time, a veterinary ER service is definitely in order. Not only can the cause of the vomiting be evaluated, he needs to be given medication by injection to control the vomiting and relieve the nausea. Hopefully the blood is simply due to the irritation of the lining of the stomach due to the force of the vomiting, but if there is any question of something more serious, it can be further evaluated.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z