Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She wants to eat all the time. Has started going through the…

Customer Question
She wants to eat...

She wants to eat all the time. Has started going through the trash as well. She is 13 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

No other symptoms except eating and searching for food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lilly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lilly?

She is a Brussels Griffon

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/16/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Lilly's behavior - polyphagia (increased hunger) - suggests one of three diseases - diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, or hyperthyrodism. All are expected to also cause polydipsia (increased thirst). Are you seeing polydipsia in Lilly? Has her weight or shape of her body changed?

Only increased thirst.

Thank you. Lilly's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Please fast Lilly for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw. Don't restrict water. If the testing is performed in house you'll know why Lilly is polyphagic and polydipsic in just an hour. If the testing is sent to our reference lab you'll know within 24 hours. Diabetes mellitus is most likely and because dogs are insulin dependent you would be asked to inject her with insulin twice daily and modify her diet to one that helps manage her blood sugars.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.