Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My Lucy, a lab mixed breed has had rapidly developing

Customer Question
seizures for 2 years now...
My Lucy, a lab mixed breed has had rapidly developing seizures for 2 years now and I can predict when they are coming so I am less concerned about them. However due to a stubborn UTI she is now on Simplicef as well as long term phenobarbital (at max dosage) and zonisimide (close to max dosage). How much risk are we taking by giving her Simplicef?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/16/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. Here is the excerpt from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Formulary: "Cefpodoxime is contraindicated in patients hypersensitive to it or other cephalosporins. Because cefpodoxime is excreted by the kidneys, dosages and/or dosage frequency may need to be adjusted in patients with significantly diminished renal function. Use with caution in patients with seizure disorders." So, it may lower the seizure threshold to some degree. The exact amount is unknown. In a situation with a stubborn UTI, it may be of benefit to do a culture and sensitivity to make sure the correct antibiotic is being used. Also it may be beneficial to take x-rays to make sure no stones are present.

So when using Simplicef in a situation with a patient that has epilepsy, the benefits have to outweigh the risks of it. It would seem that the risks are pretty minimal, but when veterinarians use it in situations like this they need warn clients about possible breakthrough seizures.