Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I came home from work and my puppy penis is all the way out.

Customer Question
They say I can put...
I came home from work and my puppy penis is all the way out. They say I can put sugar to bring down the swelling
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/16/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello Irma,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

I have no idea how long the puppy penis has been out. But I can see it is swollen. They say if I put sugar the swollen will go down

Hello again Irma

Sorry to hear your pup is uncomfortable however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This is a situation which happens now and again and the technical term for it is paraphimosis, the usual problem is that he is unable to retract his foreskin because of a trapped foreskin following an erection. The trapped foreskin can prevent blood flow from the penis and swelling can occur thus making it more difficult for things to return to normal.

2. What to try first is to thoroughly lubricate the shaft of the penis, use a lubricant gel if you have access to any or Vaseline or just lots of soap and water and gently try to retract and unroll and manipulate the foreskin back to it's normal position. { I know you have tried this already }

3. If that fails then another approach is to make up a luke warm saturated sugar solution and place the dog's penis in it if this is possible say using a large container, otherwise just poultice the penis with the solution but saturate the whole area. This very often works because of an osmosis effect of the sugar, but you have to do this for about twenty minutes.

4. However if you cannot resolve the situation by the above common sense means then you should have your vet take a look at as soon as possible before permanent damage occurs as is sometimes possible because of the reduced blood flow.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Irma,

I am just checking back in to see how your pup is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his extruded penis ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Irma Tallabas. How is everything going?