Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our 6 year old aussie suddenly started twitching/ whole

Customer Question
Our 6 year old...

Our 6 year old aussie suddenly started twitching/ whole body/ not walking normally but breathing normally.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes checking for wound wait a moment...

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Chance is his name

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chance?

He is very healthy usually

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/15/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Whole body twitching/not walking normally suggests intoxication or complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures). If Chance normalized within minutes, seizure is more likely than intoxication by prescription or recreational drug or chemical. Please give me an update on chance if you wish.

it is now about eleven hours since Chance first showed symptoms of something being wrong. It was approximately three hours, from 9pm until midnight that he showed the extreme symptoms of a dazed look in his eyes, unable to stand on his legs, intermittent "twitching". the twitching was involving his head, neck, rear legs, and sometimes it was strong othertimes as the time passed the twitches appeared to be less severe. i held his head and could feel small movements in his neck and body tapering off until he was able to rest. he managed to get on to our bed at midnight where he rested until 3 in the morning, then was able to walk to the other room and get himself on to the couch he usually sleeps on. at 7 this morning i gave him some water . 7:30 took him outside, he was able to do that on his own, and he peed and appeared frisky and asked to come in and sat where he does generally asking for a treat. i gave him a small piece of chicken jerky which he ate but then he threw it up five minutes later. his mobility is definetely better. last night his front legs splayed as he collapsed and his back legs could not walk properly or hold him up. None of those symptoms are visible now. his breathing seems to be normal. He is not a dog who goes after trash and we do not have medicines around, we cannot imagine what he could have found or eaten to do this. he is with us all the time, we watch him on our walks and are now mystified as to what is going on with him. please give us your opinion. we called our local vet who cannot see him until 11:30. last night we called emergency vets but the closest was over an hour and a half drive away and we simply could not manage that.

Thank you for the good update. A complex partial seizure was most likely. Autonomic signs such as salivation and vomiting are consistent with partial seizure activity. Chance is at the age at which both adult onset epilepsy and brain tumor need to be considered. His vet is likely to recommend diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and if nothing untoward is found in such testing (common), referral to a specialist veterinary neurologist (please see here: www.acvim.org) for advanced testing (MRI, usually) may be recommended.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Chance is now fine. Vet saw him on Monday and thinks he ingested something toxic. Blood work done and looks good.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.